Sunday, March 30, 2014

A valiant effort

Sometimes, things don't turn out exactly the way you envisioned them.
As I mentioned in my last post, yesterday my friend Kristie came by to help me attempt to recreate the Courtesan au Chocolat, the pastry seen in Wes Anderson's latest movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel:

While not a complete disaster, I'm afraid our humble little creations left something to be desired:
True, we could have put a little more effort into the decoration, but I'll have to admit, once that too-thin icing was made and rapidly absorbing into the pastry, we felt we had come far enough. There's a certain point when you simply want to forego all that fussing about and get to the eating. And eat them we did. Let's face it, chocolate custard-filled pastries with a sugary glaze are not going to taste bad, no matter how they look. I think I'll just leave that fancy decoration to the professionals for now.
More important than the final outcome, though, is the pleasure of spending a rainy Saturday baking with a good friend. Now, isn't that what it's all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment