Sunday, April 6, 2014

Eating Italy

/image source/
Today, I discovered that I like beef tongue. For lunch, I had, pasta, locally grown roasted carrots, ricotta gelato with chocolate and orange, some good Italian wine, and the insalata di lingua, a salad of chilled beef tongue with potato and anchovy aioli. A rather disjointed meal, yes, but a delight nonetheless. There are a lot of perks to working in a restaurant that serves amazing food, among them, the opportunity to taste my way through the ever-changing menu and experience Italian food comparable to the stuff I ate at the source. Inevitably, doing so means trying some, well, different things. Today it was beef tongue, the other day it was tripe, once it was fried chicken liver. If they put pickled pig's feet on the menu, I would probably try it without hesitation. I'm here to learn, and I don't want to miss anything. And guess what? All of those things I've tried? Delicious! If you let the idea of tongue, or liver, or stomach hold you back, who knows what you might miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment